Did you know...


...your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart?

Poison Lockout

More than a million children under six are poisoned each year. Household products, including cosmetics, personal care products such as toothpaste, cleaning substances, pain relievers, and plants are to blame in most cases. Listed below are some of the more obvious household poisons. Take stock of your cabinets and throw away what you don't need. Store all cleaning products, insecticides and medicines in their original containers and in places where your child can't reach them. Use drawer latches and door knob covers to keep all others locked safely away.

Alcohol (rubbing, alcoholic beverages, etc)
Drain and toilet cleaners
Furniture polish
Lighter fluid
Paint removers thinners
Rat poisons
Windshield washer fluid
Plants, house & outdoor, including: azaleas, cherry trees, diffenbachia, hemlock, holly, ivy, jimson weed, mushrooms, oleander, philodendron, rhubarb
Cosmetics (including nail polish removers and home permanents)

Carbon Monoxide-The Invisible Poison

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, colorless and nearly odorless gas produced by faulty furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters, and running cars and other vehicles. Everyone should have carbon monoxide detectors/alarms in their homes and recreational vehicles. Install a CO detector/alarm in the hallway near every separate sleeping area in your home. Always open the garage door before starting up your car.

Clean it Up

Be alert when using medicines or cleaners. Many accidental poisonings occur while the substance is in use, so play it safe and don't take medicine or use cleaners when your child is in the room.

Store all cleaning products, insecticides and medicines in their original containers and in places where your child can't reach them, preferably in high, out-of-sight, locked cabinets.

When you must store toxic items under the sink, use safety latches that lock every time you close the cabinet.

Watch your child closely when away from home. Check your baby-sitter's home and all other care givers' homes to see that medicines, cleaners, and other harmful substances are kept under lock and key.

Keep medicines in child-resistant packaging. Check to be sure grandparents and baby-sitters also buy their medicines in child-resistant containers.

Never call medicine "candy." ln fact, take all medicine out of sight of children, since they may try to copy you. lron containing medicines, such as children's vitamins and mom's prenatal vitamin supplements, are among the leading causes of child poisonings.

Sometimes, despite your good efforts, your child may be exposed to a poison. lf this happens:

*Have the poison control center telephone number or hospital emergency room telephone number by the phone. Fast action saves lives.
*Take your child and the poison to the telephone when you call for help.
*Tell them your child's age and what poison you think was involved. Follow the poison control center or hospital emergency room instructions.